Dog Trainer Challenge
11/3–11/13 Dog selection for the challenge begins.
Selection can be made during posted shelter hours or by appointment. Dog trainers may take the dog to their facility or home or come out to the shelter to train the dog on site. Trainers opting to take dogs home will sign a foster agreement & will receive a copy of the dog’s records & an adoption contract for potential clients.
12/23 Clear the Shelter Day & Last Day of Challenge
Dogs should be brought back to the shelter if not adopted. Trainers are encouraged to come out on this day & show their skills for an eager audience.
Mexia Christmas Parade
Mexia Merry Christmas Market & Outdoor Christmas Festival, Downtown Mexia
Mexia Rocks Event, Downtown Mexia & Mexia Civic Center
Boomtown History Festival, HEB
Mexia’s July 4th Festival (8am- 9:30PM)
Firecracker 5K/1 Mile, HEB Kids Corner, Live Music & Fireworks
9/28/2018 or 10/8/2018
Mexia’s Art Fest
Mexia Civic Center & Downtown Mexia
SNIP IT 2017
(Summer Round Closed)
In order to better assist more residents and to try to cut down on the overpopulation of unwanted and dumped puppies in our area, LARAS has made several changes to this round of SNIP IT 2017.
- We will be offering vouchers for only FEMALE DOGS TO BE SPAYED. (We are not currently offering vouchers to neuter male dogs.)
- In addition to Limestone County, we will also be including our neighboring residents of Wortham and Teague.
- Due to overwhelming demand of spay/neuter assistance in our area, we will not be offering vouchers on a first come/first serve basis; we will offer vouchers through a questionnaire and select those in need with the dogs most at risk first and other criteria.
- The vouchers will be for pre-scheduled spay appointments at the veterinarian of our choice. Depending on appointment availability, size of the dog, and other criteria, we may use Limestone Veterinary in Groesbeck, ABC in Waco (we would transport), or Dr. Holmes in Mexia.
- The cost per voucher will be $25. This will cover the cost of the spay surgery. Any other charges (such as flea elimination, rabies vaccine, in-heat/pregnant, rabies vaccine, etc) will be the responsibility of pet owner.
The questionnaire may be downloaded here: Download SNIP Application The returned questionnaires will be considered through June 15, 2017 for this next round. No phone calls please–we will only be considering issuing vouchers from the questionnaire. OUR GOAL IS TO SPAY AT LEAST 100 MORE FEMALE DOGS BY THE END OF 2017.